Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] ephedralover@hotmail.com is offline

Default Refinishing hardwood floors: water vs. oil

NAL wrote:
I'm refinishing (professionally) 36 year old floors that haven't been
done since they were installed. I'm getting conflicting advice on
whether to use oil or water based finish. I have two dogs that play a
lot, so I want a finish that is the longest lasting. Any input? And
thanks in advance for your help!

The other problem is the smell. Oil based finishes are going to stink
to high heaven for a long time and give off more VOCs. I think a high
qaulity water based finish is fine. And if you have large dogs, the
floor will get scratched eventually no matter what.