Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Single Woman needs elec advice

orfbound wrote:

I have a 1922, 1350 sq ft Craftsman/Bungalow home with a breaker box that
needs updating /
replacing. All knob and tube to be removed/ replaced and all new GFR's in
all rooms approx 20. The estimate came in at $7300. Does this seem
reasonable. Said job to take approx 6-7 days. Any feedback greatly
appreciated.

That would seem high if it were just replacing and upgrading the panel,
but removing and replacing old K&T wiring will add a LOT of time and
labor.

As others have noted, get several quotes and compare. Be sure they are
detailed quotes listing exactly what work is to be done.

Things to keep in mind a

Exactly how much of the old K&T is expected to be removed? I would
expect accessible K&T to be removed and inaccessible K&T i.e. buried
in-wall to be abandoned in place, with new wire (likely romex) pulled to
all outlets, switches, etc.

Quotes should indicate that receptacles and switches will be replaced
with new items. In some cases the electrical boxes may require
replacement as well as some old boxes are too small by today's codes.

Size (both amps and spaces) and brand of new panel to be installed.
There is a fair range of quality among new panels and while a small
panel (amp / spaces) may be cheaper in the short term they are not good
long term. For that size house I'd saw a 100A panel is acceptable, but I
wouldn't consider less than about 32 spaces (they fill up fast). For
panels, Square D QO series is about the best and Bryant is about the
worst. GE, Siemans and Cuttler-Hammer are all decent mid-range brands,
Square D Homeline series falls in this range.

Be sure to verify correct permitting, inspections and insurance as well.

Pete C.