Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Andy is offline

Default Electric Co. backs down

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Smarty wrote:

Power outages and restores can create switching transients with peak-to-peak
voltages vastly greater than the RMS voltage nominally supplied by the
utility. Motors and other inductive loads have huge inrush currents at
start-up, and many electronic devices are unable to deal with these surges.
I have lost a number of unprotected devices.

"Movistors", "Transorbs", and back to back zener diodes are typically used
in this application to clamp the transients. And there once was a time when
power companies took some responsibility for the quality of the power they
delivered. Alas, this no longer seems to be the case.

Smarty

Which is why I installed a "whole house" transient absorber right across
the output of the main circuit breaker in our home's panel.

What I was attempting to say is that there isn't any practical way for
the OP to "prove" that a power company caused transient made his stove
fail, and since he admits he thought about and provided protection for
other devices in his home, his failing to do so for the stove should
rest on his shoulders.

Andy writes:

Transorbs and Zeners will do absolutely nothing to protect against
a sustained "brownout".

If a compressor, or a motor, is given a fractional voltage for a
sustained period of time, as often happens after a strike which
requires the power grid to "boot back up", the excessive current
into the device will burn out a winding...

In the past, my homeowner's insurance has covered it.
Perhaps the power company will take responsibility...

But there is nothing in the world in a "transiend suppressor
system" that can do diddly-squat against a sustained low
voltage on a motor.....

I don't know what your problem was, and you probly don't
either, but I wish you good luck.

Andy in Texas , registered PE