Posted to uk.d-i-y
Neil Neil is offline

Default Water leak :( Nibbled water tank?

shaun wrote:
Neil wrote:

[...]
I've taken some pictures:
http://www.kepiernet.f2s.com/loft/subalbum_1.html

Pictures 6,7 are the best of what seems to be the 'hole'.

Any idea whether this looks rodent-caused? and perhaps more
importantly whether the tank should be replaced in a situation like
this, or whether I could just get some gungy stuff to fill the hole?
(maybe even while full of water?)

[...]
Thoughts?

Patch it up, lay some poison (possibly rat - difficult to appreciate the
size of the gnawing marks), when the poison is being no longer taken
consider replacing the tank. Don't replace it until you've eradicated the
pest.

Leave poison up there permanently.

This seems sensible, since that's two votes for rodent so far...

However are there any ideas for patching, especially ones that don't
involve draining the (I think, heating 'header'?) tank? Someone I know
has just suggested putting a plastic bag inside to stop the water
getting out (held in place by water pressure, in theory) and then
patchingn the corner with fibreglass sheeting as used for cars - which
admittedly I've never used.

Does that sound reasonable, or way OTT? ATM the problem is I can't
really get up high enough to see in the tank, let alone get an arm in

--
Neil