Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.electronics
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default AC Adapters

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 22:13:22 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 15:38:53 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:40:07 -0500, mm
wrote:

On 31 Oct 2006 15:54:35 -0800, "
wrote:

I have done a lot of this, changed plugs oon them too.

What the government should do is mandate a standard, 12 volts AC with
standard plug

have the device convert it to DC if necessary, change the voltage
whatever.

since AC has no polarity and a standard plugwe would cut down n the
amount of trash, and simplify things.

What gets me are all the small transformers running all the time using
a little bit of current each. Even when the transformer is inside the
radio, etc, and the on/off swtich could turn off the whole thing, it
never does. Only the secondary.

Equipment used to have hard power switches (that disconnected
everything). Now, the power supply needs to stay active to supply
power to things like clocks (even when you don't need a clock there),
memories, electronic "power" switches, and remote controls. Some even
have a light that glows all the time the equipment is "off".

I"m sure that accounts for a lot of things, but I've seen a lot of
other things where none of that existed. Just one example, my
wireless speakers don't have a clock, remote control, memory, or a
light, and one needs to turn a knob to turn the speaker on. Yet it
uses a wall wart that is on whenever it is plugged in.
I unplug mine. (I have one only in the bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, and basement, so
that I can listen to web radio wherever I am. But I only do that 1 to
5 hours a month. I don't need 4 wall warts runing 720 hours a month
for my 1 to 5 hours.)

You can always use a switch cord. That's like an extension cord, but
with both male and female ends at the same end and a switch at the
other. I've seen them at the local Lowe's (no grounding cords though).
I am using several of those cords now, to have switches in more
convenient places.

They should have everything run on 12 volts or whatever, and have one
12 volt transformer at the fuse box that runs everything, with outlets
in every room for 12 volts AC and whatever DC. Heck, they should use
the doorbell transformer for all of this.

How much current capacity?

I don't know. Too many other projects ahead of it, but I also need
the manufactures to agree on a voltage and current direction.

That system may be impractical, but you
could use ONE transformer instead of several with your computer.

I think the printer, scanner, and speaker take different voltages, but
for my computer, I bought (used for only 2 or 3 dollars) a box that
goes under the monitor and has 4 switches plus a master switch. I use
one for the printer, one for the speakers, one for the wireless
speaker transmitter, and one is still empty. Because of space
limitations, only every second outlet can be used for a wallwart,
unless I need more, in which case I'll use a short extension cord.

The biggest "power strip hog" I've seen is my kill-a-watt meter. It's
plugged into a power strip now (getting ready for checking holiday
lights. I use so many that it's important to keep track of electrical
load) , and it blocks FOUR additional outlets. That isn't a problem
right now, but it could be someday.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy