Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default Kreg

Joe Bemier wrote:
I have been using a Kreg system for about a year. It does not have
much application in my work but it does come in handy every now and
then for bracing or support.
I do find that *sometimes* the pocket-holed piece will jump forward
just slightly when cranking down the screws.
It is minor but if I were using it for finer work it would be a
problem. I have tried a number of solutions from the manual but I
still seem to get this from time to time.

Comments?

I find that in cases where clamping is a problem, running a long (6")
skinny drillbit (3/32") in advance, helps quite a bit. Then I don't
tighten the screw to full torque, but do the last twist by hand whilst
(there's that word 'whilst' again) tapping things in place with a small
dead-blow hammer.

I often put cleats between cabinets where the dishwasher will attach
later as granite doesn't take screws worth a hoot. Pocket holes are
perfect for that application and small dead-blow hammers, for that fine
tuning, are my friend.