Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Wooden toolbox/chest plans

On 31 Oct 2006 20:40:06 -0800, "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

Yeah, probably not the best if you are packin' a drill and big square.
The shop I work in is pretty big and it's nice to be able to keep your
private hand tools in a storable package and be able to schlep it over
to whatever area you are working in to have them at hand.

Also are expensive or I would already have one. I'd never buy one for
myself so I guess I'll give my kids a check and tell them to get it for
me for christmas.

Won't fit a square, but I've got a "gatormouth" tool bag that holds an
awful lot of stuff in a compact space. I think it cost $20-30, and
has held up extremely well over the years. It'll hold a drill, bits,
hammer, handsaw, plane, files,sanding block, speed square, combination
square, assorted pliers, scribes and nail sets, flat bar, stud finder,
chisels, and a few other things without much trouble. (The trouble
only comes when you have too carry it for too long- it's tough on your
shoulder.)

As far as the tool chest goes- I don't carry one out of the shop, so
mine is two kitchen cabinets salvaged from a remodeling job with a
section of countertop on the top for a rolling workbench. I put 4"
casters on the bottom (I made a base for them to attach to and to fill
up the hollow kickplate area of the cabinets) and retrofitted pull out
trays about 3" deep inside. Easy to use, nice to work at, and it was
free. Perhaps not as classy as a real fancy hardwood one, but it
works great, and holds a lot of tools and fasteners. If I ever did
need to take it somewhere, the 4" castors roll well, and wouldn't have
much trouble going over most anything except wet earth or really rocky
areas.