Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y
Gropius Riftwynde Gropius Riftwynde is offline

Default Green factoids.

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 04:32:07 -0600, Jules
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:23:22 +0000, Gropius Riftwynde wrote:
Here where the nearest national brand supermarket is 10 miles away it
costs 6 quid roughly to make the trip..

we have three healthy village stores withing 4 miles..

We have a Tescos in town, 6 miles away, and it is 11p a mile in petrol
cost terms: £1.32 for a round trip. Are you running at 30p per mile?
What have you got, a tank?

Well I suppose other wear and tear adds to that, though - although 6 quid
seems a bit high, unless that includes parking costs.

Not 6 quid. 6 miles.

The post office case I find interesting - the thinking at the moment seems
to be to take functionality away from post offices because they're not
doing well, rather than giving more services to post offices so that they
*can* do well. In other words, the trend is toward more centralisation
(and associated travel / vehicle wear and tear / emissions) rather than
less.

The banking facility at post offices seems to me one of the most
valuable services that they could offer. If you can pay in and
withdraw for nothing, locally, then it saves a car trip and the
associated parking probs.

---
GR