Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default B&Q - Service and management staff

wrote:
There's not really any more to this than meets the eye.

I didn't threaten anything - I was merely asking for _advice_ on how to
fit an integrated slimline dishwasher into a kitchen which I _had_
bought from B&Q. I fully understand that they are not obliged to offer
advice, but to my mind knowledge and a helpful attitude are what set
good stores apart from the rest. I also fully understand that this
lady knows nothing about DIY, but that's not why I'd been taken along
to speak to her. My points a

1) There are experienced staff in the store who are very helpful when
on duty - I'd been taken along to her by another staff member not
because of a dispute, but simply because he was not able to help and
could not find a member of kitchen showroom staff. He thought she
might be able to help / find the relevant staff member.
2) Rather than defer to someone who knew something, she waded in with
wholly inaccurate information on products - 500mm slimline dishwashers.
3) She refused, quite unreasonably in my view, to make any attempt to
find a member of kitchen showroom staff with whom to discuss my query
about a B&Q kitchen: bear in mind this store provides a kitchen
planning service.
4) No sympathy expected but I believe the relevance to uk.d-i-y is that
if someone is deciding on where to buy a kitchen, my experience may
sway their decision.

Why do people buy kitchens? You only need the plumbing, worktop and the
doors. All the rest can be made up out of 2 x2 PAR and boards.

Even the worktop can be made up by an half competent DIYer.

And of course the plumbing and doors can be made up by fair to middling
DIYers. But the carcase is a joke. You get a set of weetabix panels and
some crappy trims and get charged a fortune for them.