Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer Tony Bryer is offline

Default Green factoids.

On 2 Nov 2006 02:55:38 -0800 The Luggage wrote :
Here's exactly the problem. It's far too easy to think of motoring
costs as just the fuel. I know I tend to. The £3-4 for the commute
probably translates to about 30 miles? At a fairly miserly 30p/mile,
the real cost for this journey is about £9/day.

No, unless you are willing to give up owning a car. Once you have
decided to own the car, the cost of a journey is the marginal cost
whilst PT requires (ignoring subsidies) to pay the average cost.

My car will be traded at 3 years before battery, tyres or exhaust need
replacing and my mileage is such that servicing is time-based not
mileage based, so the cost of making journeys is about 12p per mile.
If I was considering driving 100 miles a day, with consequent
increases in servicing, tyres and depreciation then the cost would of
course be more.