Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default JoolTool Sharpening System

* tapered threaded spindle - ok, I'll bet it's a standard taper, easily
machined for $30 or less by your friendly local machine shop

* vairable speed - well, a washing machine motor isn't, but a small AC/DC
motor would be - I have a box of them - your foredom type tool has one, the
cheap harbor frieght you name it tool has one...

* small footprint - 8 inches is actually a pretty big footprint - my diamond
disk rock polisher uses a 1/3 hp washing machine motor and it's 8 inches
square in footprint, the only cost beyond the diamond disks was about 5
cents worth of glue and some time to salvage the motor from whatever I took
it off

*secure with two sheet rock screws - aaah, why is that a feature?

* 15 degree tilt - ok, so tilt the junk motor any way that floats your
boat - why is that hard?

my point here is not to insult your jool tool (or anyone else's jool tool,
or the company, or anyone or any thing) - it may well be wonderful and at
least as good as sliced bread (whcih by the way anyone can create with an
inexpensive tool called a "knife") - my point was to suggest to those
amongst us that might have to think hard about $300 that there might be ways
of getting the same capability at a lot less cost by using some personal
time to manufacture something like they are trying to sell you. And no, I
won't be buying or making one - I don't think I like that system from
watching the video - but then again, that's just me. YMMV. My real point
is that we can make a lot more of the stuff we use, and we probably should.

"charlie b" wrote in message
William Noble wrote:

after looking at the videos, I don't see why you have to have a $300
tool,
just a washing machine motor and one of those 3-M disks -

Well let's see
- the 3-M "disk" screws onto a tapered threaded spindle
- you change disks two or three times if you start with
reshaping and end polishing
- the unit is variable speed - which you need depending
on the grit you're using - and don't want to burn the
tool you're working on
- the unit has a small footprint maybe 8" diameter
and two sheet rock screws are all that's required
to secure it to a surface.
- spindle is tilted at 15 degrees so you don't have to
lean over it to see what you're doing
:
:

charlie b