Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default A couple of new tool purchases from B&Q

On 2006-11-02 00:17:10 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

dg wrote:
I made a couple of impulse purchases today

First was a MacAlister cordless nail gun for £50. Looks like they are
brand new to B&Q and instead of firing a clip of nails like a
traditional gun, they take any single nail from 40mm to 150mm, so I
thought it would be a good tool. How wrong.

I've been through half a dozen nail guns - all crap. Thanks for the tip.

Meaning electric ones?

I've had a go with a few of these and am inclined to agree - not terribly good.

If you want something that will work sensibly and reliably, then
pneumatic ones will do, but look at
manufacturers such as Senco, Porter Cable, Bostitch and Hitachi. I
have a mixture of Senco and PC guns ranging from a small Senco 22ga pin
nailer (used for fine work to pin things invisibly while gluing,
through 15,16,18ga PC nailers for general work to a Senco framing
nailer for large stuff. No problems with any of them and they get
quite a bit of use. They will run from a tiny portable compressor
because little air is needed.

The other product of choice for site work is the Paslode range. These
are cordless, working with an impulse from explosion of a small gas
charge.