Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Parker Bob Parker is offline

Default Article on motherboard capacitor failures and repair suggestions.

quietguy wrote:
Apple will do I hear

David

Tom Dempster wrote:

Good article.
I have seen this exact issue in all of the popular motherboards; Intel,
ASUS, MSI and many others; all the brands that 'puter geeks rave about.
Think your board is immune? Better have a look.
Anyone know of a board manufacturer who waives warranty expiration for this
issue?

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30328/article.html

G'day David,
What a coincidence. My Gigabyte GA-8IE motherboard has just turned 4
years old. I've examined the electrolytics every time I've had the PC
cover off, and they've always been OK.
The other day I checked again... at least 3 electrolytics now have
swollen tops and two have split, releasing that yellow gunk. I'm about
to rip the main board out and try replacing them.
I never thought the problem would take so long to appear, but there
you go.
The electros in my earlier video card took "only" a couple of years
to fail in the same way.

Bob