Posted to alt.home.repair
The Reverend Natural Light The Reverend Natural Light is offline

Default Which type filter should we use for silt and cloudy water?

If a weak shower is the indicator you use to determine when it is time
to change the element then two filters in parallel lasts more than
twice as long. Even when the elements are much farther into the
clogged stage there is still enough water for a nice shower.

How long was the well unused before you moved in? Is it new? It might
need to be pumped a lot to clear up. Mine did - and I run the garden
hose for a couple of hours every few days to help keep the water clear.

Personally, I'm getting a little tired of changing filter elements.
It'd be nice to talk to a pro about getting a self cleaning filter, if
there is such a thing.

-rev

Rockin' Realtor wrote:
We just purchased a home with a well. The water is cloudy with grey
silt sediment. We purchased a GE Smar****er Filtration System. We
have tried the Pleated and Polypropylene 15 & 20 Micron Filters, which
only last 1-2 weeks at the most. Any suggestion as to the correct type
of filter to use for this specific problem? I feel like we're throwing
money away replacing filters that don't do the job. Any help will be
greatly appreciated!