Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Painting Questions ?

"RicodJour"

You do know there are nylon stockings, light bulbs, shoe soles, etc.
that never wear out, right? You don't see any of those on the market,
do you? Why? Is it because no one wants them, or because the
manufacturer would be cutting into their own profits and possibly
killing their business? How do you think that would fly in a corporate
boardroom?

The "nylon stockings" you refer to are also called "woolen athletic socks,"
the eternal light bulb uses a ten-penny nail as a filament, and the
everlasting shoe soles are really hunks of tire tread popularized as sandals
by the Viet Cong.

"Boss, I have a way to make our paint last twice as long!"
"Really? Will we sell more of it?"
"Errr, no. Probably about half as much."
"I see. You're fired. Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

How does that square up with florescent lights, PVC pipe, or other
long-lasting consumer goods that seem popular?