Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Which type filter should we use for silt and cloudy water?

Nick Hull wrote:
In article . com,
"Rockin' Realtor" wrote:

We just purchased a home with a well. The water is cloudy with grey
silt sediment. We purchased a GE Smar****er Filtration System. We
have tried the Pleated and Polypropylene 15 & 20 Micron Filters, which
only last 1-2 weeks at the most. Any suggestion as to the correct type
of filter to use for this specific problem? I feel like we're throwing
money away replacing filters that don't do the job. Any help will be
greatly appreciated!

A sand filter should help. A large tank to allow settling time would
help a lot.

Yep.

But to OP, what did you ask/check about the water system and what was
the representation of the water system on the disclosure prior to
purchase. (If there were none of either, bad idea! ).

Would be good to ascertain for sure where the sediment is coming from
and have a test for potability (if not done before closing). Seems
like if had it would have come back with warning of high suspended
matter/solids content even if nothing else. Depending on kind of pump
(jet vs impeller) and what is the well/water source _can_ (but not
necessarily) make a big differnce in how much sediment is stirred
up/pumped. Whether it's a new/old well, been reworked, has built up
sediment in pressure tank, etc., etc., etc., all could effect
symptoms/cures/alleviations...

To others considering purchases, again is a demonstration of need for
due diligence and some expert advice _before_ the deal closes
(similarly to the guy who closed w/o knowing where the property
boundary lines actually were)...

Depending on where you are and what the rules for full disclosure are
and what was/wasn't on a required disclosure (if required), OP might
even have some recourse against previous owners...