Posted to alt.home.repair
dean dean is offline

Default Garage door - can you soft-start them?

RayV wrote:
dean wrote:

Thanks Ray, I will give it a shot. We're talking about a couple of
pounds force (tension) in the springs, right?

Yes, with the door fully raised. Just enough tension to keep the
spring from sagging and keep the door raising cable from jumping off of
the pulley.

When the door is down the springs have _A LOT_ of tension on them.
That is the reason for the safety cables. If they snap when the door
is down the springs can go right through a garage door, windshield,
soft tissue, etc.

I understand. I'll get back on this when I've had a look at the
springs.

Cheers!

Dean