Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water pressure backup sump pump

I have friends in Buffalo, they were out of power from the 12th
through to a Saturday, musta been the 21. They also have a sump.

I was considering doing a cellar pumping business, but wasn't sure how
to advertise. A couple friends of mine offered to be my secretary, but
neither came through. And the window of oportunity was only a couple
days.

Most battery backup sumps are 12 volts, which means you can charge the
battery with jumper cables off your car's power. Since a lot of folks
bought generators, look for them in the news paper or Swap Sheet in
about six months. As folks relax, and don't need the generator any
more. So they think.

Another option is a power inverter, and short cables to clip onto your
vehicle battery, while engine is running. Use short battery cables,
and a long extension cord. AC 110 volts travels a lot better.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Nathan Zimmerman" wrote in message
After the recent (Oct 12) 24 inch lake effect snowfall here in the
Buffalo area (no jokes please) we endured four days without power.
(Many
fared worse.) We managed to bail the sump for two days then begged and
borrowed generator power for two days to avoid a flooded basement. I
am
interested in a water pressure backup pump but have been told that the
capacity to pump water is limited and may end up with a flooded
basement
anyway. I have considered a battery backup but for extended power
outages the battery doesn't last. I doubt we'll experience that kind
of
outage again but I'd like to be prepared. The other alternative is a
generator...either way, a serious investment.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Nathan Zimmerman

--
Replace "invalid" with "net" to despam

A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore --Yogi Berra