Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Painting Questions ?

jeffc wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
The best quality paint isn't from the US.
http://www.finepaintsofeurope.com/ The stuff's not cheap compared to
domestic brands, even quality domestic brands, but if you can make that
$8,000 paint job last even just a year or two longer the quality paint
pays for itself.

Sounds like a crock of **** to me. They're comparing to "less than $15"
paint in the US. Well no kidding that ain't the best paint. But $30 paint
is good paint and doesn't contain crappy fillers either. $90? No thanks.
Good US paint lasts plenty long.

How much do FPE paints cost?

Most of our finishes are in the $80 - $90 per EurogallonT price range. A
EurogallonT will normally provide the same coverage as a U.S. gallon of
similar gloss.

Why are your paints so expensive?

More to the point, why are domestic paints so inexpensive? The United States
represents an aberration in the world market for architectural coatings.
This is a consequence of the absence of performance standards for paint in
our country, as well as the unusually short average residency period (four
years for the typical family!). Under these circumstances, domestic
manufacturers have focused on producing impermanent formulations, which are
typically heavily laden with chalk and other inexpensive fillers. Quality
has been compromised in favor of low price for more than 40 years in this
country. In 2003, the average gallon of architectural coating sold for less
than $15. In view of wholesale and retail margins, packaging and
transportation costs, a $15 can of paint will seldom contain more than $2 or
$3 in raw materials.

I have used their paints, so it's not something that "sounds" like a
crock of **** to me. Do you feel $200/gallon marine paints are a crock
of **** as well?

90% of painting is in the prep work, and 90% of the time that's not
done adequately. Of course the more expensive paint doesn't make sense
for those people. If you're looking for quality work, and are willing
to do the required prep work, saving a couple hundred dollars in
materials, at the expense of longevity, is false economy.

You do know there are nylon stockings, light bulbs, shoe soles, etc.
that never wear out, right? You don't see any of those on the market,
do you? Why? Is it because no one wants them, or because the
manufacturer would be cutting into their own profits and possibly
killing their business? How do you think that would fly in a corporate
boardroom?
"Boss, I have a way to make our paint last twice as long!"
"Really? Will we sell more of it?"
"Errr, no. Probably about half as much."
"I see. You're fired. Don't let the door hit you on the way out."