Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default TS-Aligner Fall 2006 Promotional Offer!

wrote:

There's no purpose in being synical about someone pointing out a
problem that is bound to become worse.

What a patronizing pant-load of crap. Ed's been around the wreck far longer
than you and is quite generous with help and advice. So your "prediction"
that Ed is the harbinger of the wreck's downfall is nonsense.

I was trying to offer
something
constructive while you obviously responded for the sake of criticizing
me.

That is the type of response on would expect from someone who thinks the
world revovles around them.

It would be nice to see some positive responses instead, such as
starting a group for woodworking vendors.

In *your* opinion you don't see the responses as positive. And you are free
to start any kind of group you wish.

If I wanted to look for
woodworking products (or spam) then I could go to that group and
browse. Instead I have to keep updating kill filters.

Yup, as I said, you think things should revolve around *your* wishes and
desires. But please continue. Now, share some stories about your long-time
experience with usenet that makes you special. Go on, don't be bashful.

I realize that's the nature of usenet today but that's not the
original
intent of it. I worked on the usenet software back in the early 80's
when I was a Marine. We were trying to take what Duke and Chapel Hill
had done and create an equivalent for the military. The purpose was
allow people to educate and collaborate. The usenet of today is
quickly morphing from its root purpose into a system that's destined
be inundated with commercial interests. The end result is that the
original purpose is not only lost but ceases to exist.

Just a sec......brush, brush, brush, ACHOO, sniff, cough Sorry; those
tales of yore sure stir up a lot of dust when dragged out of storage.

My original post in this thread was a "heads up" of what's to come and
a suggestion that the money makers respect the purpose of the group.
The responses I received from members were expected as this is exactly
what's happened along the way as other groups have deteriorated.

Sure, that's the explanation. Or maybe it's that Ed is seen as one of our
own and you are viewed as a meddling outsider?

Doug Miller wrote:
You're not (quite)
the only one here to feel the way you do -- but you are in
a very small minority, and it seems to me that the group would
suffer much
more from Ed's departure than from yours.

It's interesting that you speak for what you suggest is "the majority"
and categorize me as "the minority". I didn't realize you were
president of this here usenet group.

Now that is clever. I've never heard that line before.

You must be a real important guy
- much more important than anyone else here. After all, you get to
decide who is more important than who. Perhaps you could share your
"org" chart with me so I can figure out where I fit in.

Truly spoken by someone who seems to have trouble fitting in.

I didn't see a large number of responses for or against commercial
advertisements, which makes it impossible to determine what the
minority or majority thinks about the issue.

Doug has been around for quite awhile and knows -- from experience -- the
temperament of the wreck and Ed's contributions here. That does make it
possible for him to know.

Your attempt to minimize
my involvement and interest in woodworking has nothing to do with
facts. But your response is familiar. Exactly what I've seen in
other
groups before they stopped being a place for hobbiests to meet.

I just love the tone of hyperbole in the morning. It sounds like.....
like.......whining.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com