Bob G

Default OT - Gunner Quote - for Gunner and all the Gunnettes

On 24 Jan 2004 03:08:07 -0800, (Excitable Boy)
wrote:

Robert Sturgeon wrote in message . ..
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 06:00:22 GMT, strabo
wrote:

And why should anyone expect the Chinese ruling class, largely
comprised of military leaders, give up a power which is absolute?

They won't - at least not voluntarily.

I was mistaken ... you guys don't read Reader's Digest. You aren't
that smart and the pages are too small for the big pictures you'd
need.for coloring Do they make some kind of mechanism that takes
care of breathing for you ? Because there's obviously not enough
between your ears to even take care of that minimal function. There's
just about nothing to say when faced with such appalling ignorance.

Let's put this into really really small words so that even you two
might have a chance to get it : I LIVE HERE, you morons. You are out
of your rabbit-ass fricking minds. Neither one of you has 1/100th of
a clue as to what China is like. No, let's get accurate : 1/1000000th
of a klew. Christ, you are stewpid.

Hmmm. I do Hamei. Have a clue. Been there. Altho it's been 14 - 15
years ago.

And have friends who've been there recently, past couple years.
Friends who do speak Chinese well, as they were born in Hong Kong.

I haven't been following this debate you're having with Robert and
others. Couldn't care less about these mutual flaming parties.

But I did bother to read a couple posts in this thread at random.
Just to see if there was anything in the thread of interest to me.
There isn't. Except your comments on China perked my curiosity.

I am not one who would bash China, or the Chinese. Far from it. Tho I
have issues with their government. However, things you've said do not
coincide with what I know from personal experience, with what's been
told to me by folks who've been there in the recent past, nor with
current news reports by a whole friggin variety of sources, not just
US ones.

So, curiosity perked, I did a little checking.

One of the curious things I've noted just looking a random samplings
of your posts is that the time stamping on most I looked at, in
relation to times when it appeared that you responded relatively soon
to another post ... seems to indicate you live somewhere in the
continental US. Either that or you've invented a way to make an ISP's
servers alter their time stamps just for you, personally.

At a guess, just mentally noting time stamps of several randomly
picked posts, if asked ... it'd seem to me you were somewhere in or
around California. Taking into account normal human living patterns.
i.e. Times in the day you most folks would be at work ... not posting,
evening times when folks do most of their posting. Late Friday
nights/early Saturday morning postings. And so forth.

I notice things like time stamps almost automatically. Having spent a
career in the Navy and having to, on many an occassion, be juggling
different time zones in my head. It sortta becomes habit. Like,
"Hmmm ... it's noon here, and I'm in Taiwan, what's a good local time
for me to call my wife so I'm likely to catch her home, and still
awake?"

Anyway, somewhere around California appeared right. And that did jive
with the "pacbell" part of your email addy.

I was then curious, Hmmmm, PacBell does ISP in China? Not last I'd
heard. So I checked.

http://www.internetnews.com/stats/article.php/3299861

Excerpted from above"

"China had 79.5 million Web surfers at the end of 2003, a report by
the China Internet Network Information Center (CNNIC) out of Beijing
stated Thursday. "

"While 79.5 million would be a significant number in most countries,
it's a mere six percent of China's total population of 1.28 billion.
In the U.S., Web surfers make up 57 percent of the total population of
290.34 million. "

"China has only three Internet service providers (ISPs) -- ChinaLink
Networks, Netaway and VPM Internet Services, Inc. --"

Hmmm. That info is from official Chinese sources themselves. And it
jives with other sources of info I'm familiar with. I'm far from
wealthy, but do have a small amount of money invested in some stocks
which cause me to keep track on who is setting up new lines, services,
and so forth in the communications world. So someone getting "into"
China is something I follow. Nice big market there. As I say, I'm
far from wealthy, I wouldn't mind having a bit more money. A couple
or a few thousand more might not mean much to the Tim May's of the
world. But it's meaningful money to me.

So, how is it you live in China, but have PacBell as your ISP?

Just curious.

Also curious as to how you seem to communicate so freely back and
forth and seem to roam the Net at will. Since China's government is
pretty well known for blocking a lot of sites and whole ISPs, etc?

An example to read about that subject:
http://www.wayan.net/exp/china/censor.htm

That's just one. Do a Google search using china+censorship+internet
and it'll turn up a whole bunch more examples.

Bob

*** No flame intended, just curious.