Posted to alt.home.repair
dean dean is offline

Default Garage door - can you soft-start them?

Trajen wrote:

I suspect your torsion springs need adjustment.
Do the following test with the door in the down position...
Disconnect the door from the opener, if my theory is correct your door will
be difficult to lift and will not stay in any up position. If this is true
your torsion springs need adjustment. When your springs are correctly
adjusted the door should be fairly easy to lift and will reach a balance
point when it is about 4' to 6' from the floor. Adjusting torsion springs
can be a bit dangerous, I suggest you read the info from this web page, then
make a decision if you want to DIY or use the yellow pages.
http://truetex.com/garage.htm

Ok thanks everyone, I will take a look at the balance tonight. If I
have to adjust the sprints, what's involved with that? The springs do
have a wire cable through the middles for safety.

Do you think there is too little tension on the springs?