Posted to alt.home.repair
NSN NSN is offline

Default Cracking Concrete/Pool

It certainly would not hurt to contact the State Contractor's License
Board and have them look at it. If they say that it was not properly
done, it will have to be re-done. If not, nothing lost except a bit of
time.

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:24:44 GMT, NSN wrote:

If you try to seal the cracks the stuff you use might interfere with
the repair material that the restorer will use. I tried one crack
about 3 years ago. It did not work and looks terrible. "They" will
grind out the crack, fill it with some sort of epoxy, grind the
surface flat and then use a fiberglass mesh to cover it prior to the
resurfacing .. this is for the larger cracks.

On 30 Oct 2006 20:37:20 -0800, "CyberExorcist"
wrote:

No problem with too much freezing. I'm in Northwest FL, so doesn't get
too cold here. I was just wondering if I should try to seal up the
cracks in the concrete or leave it alone for a while as you suggest?

NSN wrote:
On 29 Oct 2006 17:10:15 -0800, wrote:

I had some concrete laid around my swimming pool (~1200ft), that is
cracking at almost every expansion joint and a few large cracks around
the pool steps and diving board.

What is the best way to repair this? I had the concrete laid in March
of this year and it's been through the summer. Should I wait for it to
go through the colder months and then have it repaired?

I plan on getting someone to lay down decorative concrete (pool deck
design) on top of this concrete.

What's the best approach?

Tks

I am having a local company resurface my deck later this month to the
tune of $11,000. Same problem as yours but mine is 18 years old and
the cracks have stabilized. Mine have been stable for about 4 years.
It is an expensive project so, in my opinion, the longer you wait, the
better off you will be .. unless water freezing in the cracks could
cause problems. I am in a desert area where freezing is not a problem.

You might want to wait another year or so. During that time carefully
observe the cracks to make sure they are not enlarging. Even though
the resurfacing material is somewhat flexible it cannot hurt to make
sure the concrete has done its thing as far as cracks are concerned.

Norm