Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Garage door - can you soft-start them?

As Tony suggested, start by making sure the main springs are correctly
adjusted and the tracks are also ok. Disconnect the door from the opener
and make sure it moves easily up and down and will stay up and stay down
without help.

If that does not do it, then I would guess some sort of dampened would
be called for, but I don't know what to suggest, I have never seen one for a
garage door. A spring would likely be a problem not a cure.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
My few-months-old Sears 3/4HP garage door opener, lifts a double door
up nice and smooth. However, when it goes down again, its like the
motor is instantly up to speed and the door knocks its way down for a
few seconds, jolting everything hard.

As far as I know there are two adjusters that determine where the
upmost and downmost points are, but I am not sure if there is any way
to adjust the descent start. Put in a spring between the arm and the
door?

Thanks for any tips!

DeanB