Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default Green factoids.

Huge wrote:
On 2006-11-01, magwitch wrote:
Huge muttered:

On 2006-11-01, magwitch wrote:
The Natural Philosopher muttered:

A poster on the BBC HYS forum had quite an interesting idea in that every
driver would be rationed with a fuel allowance, say 500 litres of fuel per
month, if a driver stuck to his allowance, fine. If he exceeded it, he'd
have to buy his extra ration from people who'd not used up theirs.
The problem with this idea is that Public Transport in London at rush hour
is full up. There is simply no more room for any more passengers.

There would be if a legal entitlement to home-working was introduced as part
of the employer/employee contract, 2 days a week, people worked from home,
unless their job couldn't be done from there, I'd say that would cut
peak-time commuter numbers by a quarter.

And it might well work better in London than in many other places, since
most of the people on those trains are office workers.

The downside of this, as several people have pointed out, is that if your
job can be done remotely at home, it can be done remotely in Hyderabad.

Actually not true as people are beginning to discover.

- people in Hyderabad hacve trouble understanding broad regional accents
and vice versa, and simply do not understand the intricacies of UK life
to understand what 'take er roond me mooms arse if ahm oot when tha
calls' actually means.

- people in Hyderabad may not be able to compete if the UK introduced a
basic citizens income...

- people in Hyderabad can not drive in to a meeting in London etc.

And of course, if its that simple, isn't it time we all moved to
somewhere nice, like rural S France, and sat at our keyboards there instead?