Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Burning green/wet firewood

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
LOL, I wasn't considering starting one. I was just wondering when it is
more likely to happen, and if there is anything that can be done to
prevent it other then periodic cleaning and don't over fire the stove.

Over firing can certainly start one, but a hot fire can prevent a chimney
fire. The hotter the interior of the chimney, the less likely the creosote
is to condense on the sides of it. Twice a day I'd crank up the stove to
help keep it clean. In mild weather, the stove may tend to burn very slow
and that is when you get the buildup. Then the weather turns cold, you
crank up the fire and too hot can ignite what is already in the liner.
Avoid smoldering fires, especially with green wood.