Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default OT Lawmakers Look To Ban Metal Bats

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I can't agree with that assumption. Sure, the population has

increased, but
the density of people in the cities was horrid at the turn of the 20th
century. Just look back at the old neighborhoods in large cities,

the sweat
shops, etc. and you will find most of us are living in much better
conditions.

Yes, living conditions were not the greatest in the inner part of most
major US cities, but an escape for a few hours on a Sunday into the
open country side was a relatively short distance away.

Central Park in NYC was built specifically to provide some "escape
space" for people living in the city.

Cleveland had the Metropolitan Park System known as the Emerald
Necklace with includes golf courses, a polo field, lakes, etc for the
same purpose.

I'm certain many other older established cities around the US have
similar facilities that were probably established during the last
quarter of the 19th century.

The cities and all the congestion they represent, have engulfed these
"green" facilities.

If these facilities were to be established today, it simply would not
happen. The cost would be totally prohibitive.

The demand for housing space has/is swallowing up open space at an
alarming rate.

There are simply less and less open spaces where people can be alone,
pass a little gas, and just plain get away from other people.

The population here in SoCal is expected to double in the next 20 or
so years.

There is simply not enough infrastructure to support that kind of growth.

Increased population density is inevitable if that growth is to be
handled.

Our parents and grandparents fought for better conditions in the

workplace
and in housing, but now the politicians are just taking control of

every
aspect of our lives.

Most politicians respond to voters.

Very few offer original ideas since you can lose elections that way.

As a result, voters can complain, but they also need to look in the
mirror.

Years ago, teachers with 50 students in a classroom had better

control than
teachers can have with 15 students today.

I had my rear end kicked by my coach, a 6'-4", 250 lb, former pro
football player, when I was a freshman in high school.

I knew better than to let my parents know what happened.

I kept my mouth shut and got on with life.

If a teacher tried that today, they would be in court defending
themselves from a lawsuit filed by the parents.

Times have certainly changed, and not necessarily for the better.

Lew