Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default The surveyors are coming!

RicodJour wrote:

I'm a bit confused, Jeff. You spoke with a lawyer but there are zoning
laws and presumably building codes and permits required. Why not have
the town take care of it? Wouldn't cost you a dime.

I don't know if he got (or even needed to get) a permit for what he did,
though I suspect he didn't. However, I don't think that bringing the
town down on him over that would have gained me anything other than
giving him another reason to think of ways to "get even" with me.

Regarding the shed he added right against the property line, it is far
enough away from our house and back yard and screened by foiliage so
that it's not really a bother. Complaining to the town about that would
not benefit us in any significant way and I would feel like I was just
lowering myself to the neighbor's level.

As far as living next to a neighbor that hates you... If a guy walks
up to me and ****es on my shoes, I'm not really going to care all that
much about his opinion of what I do next.

I think my answer to that is what others here have said here so many
times. Getting into a ****ing contest with a skunk living next door
rarely wins you anything you'd really want. YMMV.

It was a "dog in the manger" situation, the land the neighbor "grabbed"
was nothing we could make practical use of without major landscaping
efforts, but it was part of the lot when we bought it 21 years ago so we
own it and pay taxes on it.

I figured if that neighbor had any class he'd agree to pay the taxes on
the land he's using as though it were his, and we could both feel that
were getting a fair deal. I also offered to sell him that bit of land
for it's tax assessed value if he picked up all the legal and filing
costs of the transfer, but he didn't spring for that either.

So, as one of my previous sig lines read, "What do you expect from a pig
but a grunt?"

However, his house has been on the market for most of the past year. I
spoke with and wrote a letter to the real estate agent telling her she'd
be well advised to inform potential buyers about that encroachment and
tell them they'd be wise to get it straightened out as part of any
purchase process. She promised she would. We'll see if that happens.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)