Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default OT Lawmakers Look To Ban Metal Bats

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:00:58 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

We just passed 300 million a few days ago.

The amount of land hasn't changed except when Alaska & Hawaii were
granted statehood.

That land across the street where you used to hunt, probably has
houses on it today.

The point is that more people in the same space create more demanding
conditions.

Lew

I'm with you, Lew.

I believe that there is a critical density of population that
describes the difference between living a decent life and not.

I have no backup for this, in a scientific sense, but it is a strong
feeling in me.

A strong feeling is usually a synthetic judgment about a condition.

It is not scientifically informed but it is the end result of your
experience in life.

There is perhaps a perfect density that describes the boundary between
the vibrance associated with a strong community vs. the dehumanizing
aspects of overcrowding.

I grew up in a small town that was the focal point of the surrounding
agricultural community.

As you say, the places that I used to hunt and fish are now covered by
houses.

It seems far too urban to me.

New arrivals admire it for its rustification.

Go figger.

I believe that the Nation State took over from the City State concept
because of density.

Although it addressed volume - I do not think that the concept
addressed quality of life.

But, here we are.

Regards,

Tom Watson