Don Foreman

Default OK, smart guys

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 01:06:34 GMT, Sunworshiper
wrote:

Isn't the end cap cast iron? If so, that's not going to be easy to
weld. Try going to a welder and ask him to make one for you , they
will probably have the material right in the shop. Doesn't hurt to
ask , you could run into a very nice person and will do it cheap.
If not you can come back and tell us "They want *%# $xxx.xx to do it!"

Cast iron pipe parts aren't hard to weld with nickel rod, but I agree
with you that a visit to a weldor (pro or am) is the way to go here.

I'd happily do it for a sixpack if a guy in my area (Mnpls) showed
up with the materials in hand. Fitch would rather have a pound of
Kona coffee than a sixpack, but I've no doubt that he'd gladly do it
wiith or without the coffee. I think most RCM'ers with the right
equipment and skills (which includes many of us) would be glad to
help.

Scrap steel yards often have circular "drops" of 1/4" to 3/8" steel
from their plasma cutter, bits left from cutting holes. They
typically run 40 cents a pound on 2d Ave No. in Mnpls. A 6" round
drop of 5/16" would be a buck or two. It wouldn't take 5 minutes to
weld that on to the end of a piece of pipe.