Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] barry@sme-online.com is offline

Default Plumbing Code - Can I tie my bathroom exaust fan into the main plumbing vent to the outside.

johnnymo wrote:
Hello - I bought an older house and I am renovating and making my half
bath a full bath. I wanted to install an exhaust fan in the bathroom,
but it is not very convienent to send it to the side of the house and I
don't won't to bother cutting a hole in the roof. So, I was wondering,
since the main air vent to both bathrooms is directly above my new
bathroom, can I have piece of PVC installed so that my exhaust vent
blows into the air vent? Is this code worthy?

Thanks for the suggestions...

John

No. Except there's a water-trap, you can only connect draing piping to
the
outside, via drain line or vent. Sewer gas can be explosive, and it's
happened
that contractor cracks a gas main near a sewer line, with natural gas
getting into house with dry trap. With house coming apart in a
fireball.

This was a block away.

So you see why sewer venting is not a "convenience" thing.