Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.electronics
Beachcomber Beachcomber is offline

Default AC Adapters

On 31 Oct 2006 10:42:27 -0800, "
wrote:

As is the case with most folks, I suppose, I have an assortment of AC
adapters left over from a variety of now defunct electronic gizmos. The
adapters vary in terms of output voltage and current, but I'm wondering
if they can be used for other than the cell phone, radio, whatever they
were intended for, or are they now just items for the junkpile? I'd
guess that they can't be used for items that are rated for higher
voltage and current, but can they be used if the item's requirements
are less than, or close to, the rated output for the adapter?

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
Indianapolis

Check the output ratings that are marked on each adapter. You might
find AC or DC outs and voltages 3v 6v 9v 12v and others. There is
also typically a maximum current rating in mA.

You can use like voltage and AC or DC rated adapters with appliances
that require similar power. Some equipment is more sensitive to tight
voltage tolerance (ex. cell phone chargers) than others.

Also be aware that DC adapters are either regulated or un-regulated
with respect to voltage. A regulated 9V. adapter will put out 9V, no
matter what the load up to and including its max rating.

An unregulated 9v adapter may put out 12 volts with no-load and still
be high with a light load.

It helps to have a good voltmeter to check these things.

Also, there is no standard on the polarity plug for the DC adapters.
The center conductor might be negative or positive. Usually it is
marked with a diagram on the adapter. Or you can check polarity with
a voltmeter set to DC volts.

Most DC devices will not operate unless the incoming DC polarity is
correct and some may be damaged by inverted polarity.

Beachcomber.