Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default commerical building fire sprinklers

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Last year we purchased a brand new industrial/office building in Orange
County, CA. The building came with fire sprinklers installed and there
is also a phone line dedicated to call 911 should a fire occur. We are
paying for this phone line apart from the regular phone lines that we
are paying for our normal office use.
I am wondering if there is any mandatory code requirement to have this
fire service phone line standby at all times? Or is it OK to disconnect
this phone line service, but of course, keeping the sprinklers.

Any tips are welcome.

Have you considered talking to the fire department, or appropriate
enforcement agancy?

Bob

And your insurance company. At least with residential alarms, you get
a cut in premiums if the alarms are monitored. I would assume that the
same might apply in commercial areas, too. If the only marginal expense
is the phone line, you might end up being penny wise and pound foolish.

Alarm monitoring usually does not require a dedicated phone line. I
think what he means is that he would switch from a dedicated line to
using one of the business lines. But I agree, he should be checking
with the local fire code officials and his insurance company, because
only they can answer his question.