Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] floresrikitic@hotmail.com is offline

Default Boy, am I in the wrong line of work .........

Steve B wrote:
Yesterday, our large Whirlpool self cleaning oven quit working. That is,
the electronic panel on it went black, and the latch that holds it shut
during cleaning engaged partially. We can still open it with a fork, but
the oven or clock or electronics won't work.

Call the guy. $80 for someone to come out and tell us what's wrong.

Needs two fuses, the guy says. About $20 per, and another $60 for the
service call. He doesn't fix things, just gives estimates.

Today, the guy comes and says it will be $275 MORE to fix the thing. We say
we'll get back to him when he faxes us a written bid. No intention of
getting back to him.

The friggin thing can be replaced for $600. They want $355 to fix this.

Steve, maybe this is a clue to simplify your life. We have a new, but
very
simple and traditional gas stove/oven. Knobs for turning the burners
on and
off, and we clean the thing ourselves when needed. The thing probably
didn't
cost as much as what the guy wanted to fix yours.