Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default The surveyors are coming!

stay da course? wrote:
finally they are going to tell us where the property line is.
we bought this place with the understanding that there was an
encroachment.
a fence and chicken coup supposedly on our land.

The time to have resolved where the property line(s) is(are) was
_before_ you closed on the property. With whom did you have "an
understanding" and what did that understanding entail? Whatever it
was, undoubtedly it has absolutely no legal bearing.

Can only repeat advice of another--consult w/ an attorney on what your
rights are (which you made a real mistake if you didn't before closing
as appears would be the case) and then figure out how to go from there.

Depending on how large the property is, what the extent of the
encroachment is, what the state/use of the coop is, etc., etc., etc.,
would all have pretty major input on what I would consider a problem
and how to address it. If this has been there the proverbial long time
and it's a long-time resident, undoubtedly there will be virtually no
way you're going to effect a significant change without ruffling
feathers (so to speak )...

Again, the lesson to anyone else is to find out the real deal _first_
.... while I doubt it will work out that way, you may find out you
don't actually have clear title to the entire piece of property you
thought you bought. Of course, you also may find out that the property
lines aren't where you were lead to think they were, too, and in fact,
the coop isn't even on what you thought your property was/is...