Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Andy is offline

Default WoodCraft Green "Bessy" Clamps

Whatever the answer is, they aren't K-bodies, but a parallel jaw clamp
of differing design details.

True, as far as I can tell. This issue has been addressed in the past
- see
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...e41415a3bc7e08
Representatives of both Woodcraft and Bessey chimed in to say that
they're NOT actually made by Bessey, even though I think Woodcraft
promo materials definitely imply they are. In fact, to quote their
website http://tinyurl.com/y26jz2, "Manufactured Exclusively for
Woodcraft by Bessey Tools!" Despite that glowing advertisement, these
clamps are apparently ACTUALLY manufactured by Groz in India, and not
Bessey in Germany (See previously mentioned rec.woodworking thread of
Oct 3, 2006).
Anyway, with Bessey, Gross Stabil, and Jet parallel clamps on sale at
Amazon right now (as per my earlier post), and all of these "real"
brands CHEAPER (for 12, 24 and 31" sizes) than the Woodcraft ones, why
would you go with the knock-offs?
If Woodcraft offered these greenies at a significant cost savings over
sale-priced "real" clamps, I might look at them more closely, but until
then, why bother? I'm a very satisfied Woodcraft customer, and I'll
certainly continue to take my business to them when I'm near one of
their stores, but if they wanted to sell me green clamps, they'd have
to offer them at half their current prices.
Just my opinion,
Andy