Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default cold water storage tank

On 2006-10-31 18:30:34 +0000, "yogi" said:

I'm relocating my hot water cylinder in my bungalow to the loft near
the cold water tank. I know that the CW tank needs to be at least 1
metre higher than the showerhead, but does it also need to be higher
that the HW cylinder (or can they be positioned side by side)?

From the perspective of flow to the shower head it is the cold tank
that is the defining thing.

However, there is a problem in that there needs to be some amount of
vertical distance between the tank and the cylinder to accommodate the
vent pipe, and in any case as a minimum the water level of the cold
tank needs to be above that of the cylinder.

If there is not adequate vertical distance for the vent pipe, there
will be a tendency for it to suck in air.

Therefore as a minimum you need to be able to come up with a way to
support the cold tank solidly at a height above the cylinder once the
latter is moved to the loft.

If you can't do that, you will need to use something based around mains
water supply such as a thermal store.