Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default replacing CU

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 00:13:48 -0600, Jim Michaels wrote:

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 23:56:25 +0000, Ed Sirett
wrote:

A few years ago I bought a flat which had had a Wylex CU installed and as
it turned out the sockets changed to 13A. Behind everything as I later
discovered with the original 1935 rubber/fabric (VIR ?) wiring in conduits.

If it was in conduit, why not pull out old wire and pull in new?

That's exactly how the lighting was rewired.
I wouldn't have got 2.5T+E down the conduits.
I needed more sockets for even the most basic rewire.
I still would have had to run additional cabling anyway.
I didn't have any singles and I would have encountered additional earthing
issues wrt the conduits.