Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Wiring oven and cooktop to aluminum supply wires

Tony has the wall oven wiring correct, but the cooktop is 240 volt not 120
volt. Connect the red and black from the unit to the two black feed wires,
and connect the bare wires together and cap the "black with white stripe"

"BobH" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am remodeling my kitchen and have a new wall oven and a new cooktop.
In the wall, there are separate junction boxes containing 240-volt
aluminum wires for the oven and the cooktop. Each junction box has four
aluminum wires -- two black, one black with a barely recognizable white
strip and a bare wire. The bare wire is connected to a lug screwed to
the metal box.

My question is how to wire the two appliances. The oven comes with a
four-wire copper cable. I suppose the bare wire from the oven should go
to the bare ground wire, white should go to the white-striped neutral
wire and black and red should go to the two black wires. Are the two
black wires in the wall interchangeable? If not, how do I know which
one goes to the red from the oven? Why are there four wires in the
first place?

The cooktop, on the other hand, has only three wires -- red, black and
bare copper. Why no white? How should I match up the three cooktop
wires with the four wires in the wall.

I realize I need to use antioxidant in the wire nuts when connecting
aluminum to copper. Any other precautions needed?

--Bob