Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ground current through water main/meter

In article ,
Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Awl--

How much is acceptable?
An amp-probe reveals between 2 and 6 amps, depending on how balanced the
load is on each leg of the main panel.
I'm hearing that the neutral from the panel is connected to a *steel* cable
outside, while the hots are indeed connected to copper conductors. This
would explain some current going through ground.

If the water main connection is broken, no noticeable effect in the
house--or so it seems.

Mebbe I'll amp-probe some of my neighbors plumbing.
--

If there really is that much current flowing through ground, it
indicates a ground fault somewhere in the building wiring.

--
For every complicated, difficult problem, there is a simple, easy
solution that does not work.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -