Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
Ron Peterson Ron Peterson is offline

Default Anyone use a snow roof rake?

Walter Cohen wrote:
I live in NY state and had roof ice dam damage in a past year. Ever since
then I've had additional under-eave ventilation vents put in and try to keep
parts of my roof clean (to some degree) of winter snow using a long handled
shovel. My roofer recommended a roof rake with a telescoping handle system.

Can anyone who has used one of these comment on how well it works, what
types/brands are recommended, width of the blade, etc.
They all seem to look similar and are constructed the same. The only
difference that I can see (on the internet) is that they are of varying
widths (blade).

I have one with several aluminum sections and a flat aluminum rake. It
gets hard to handle when all the sections are assembled. (My roof is
high on one side of the house.) I have a 45 degree slope on my roof,
but several valleys which reduce the ability of the snow to blow off in
a storm. Raking has been successful at preventing ice dams. Some years
almost everybody needs to use a rake.

--
Ron