Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another engineered flooring installation question or two...

"Melanie" wrote in message

I ripped out the carpet and the tack boards from this area on the
weekend and I think you are right about undercutting the door jambs and
door casing. It seems easier.

So, my next question is do I need special tools for this?

Yes, the saw is called a Dovetail saw and I got mine for about $10 at Home
Depot. It has an offset handle so you can grip it and cut without scraping
your knuckles. Cut off just a tad more than the thicknes sof the flooring.
YOu can use a piece of scrap flooring as a guide to rest the saw blade on.

No wait, undercut
the doorway first, then lay down the sheeting. I expect that part will
be messy and don't want to have to deal with cleaning off the plastic.

NOt much mess. Two seconds with a shop vac and the sawdust is cone.