Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default Boy, am I in the wrong line of work .........

In article ,
says...
In article . com, "Larry Bud" wrote:

Why not? There would be an open flame, no hotter than your electric
range.

Ummmm... do you really think that electric burners get as hot as a gas flame?

Confined, electric heat gets much hotter than an open flame. Ever
hear of curtains catching fire above an electric heating element?
Gas forced air or hydronic?

When I was in an apt, I had an electric range that I had a tea kettle
on. The damn whistle on the kettle didn't work, and I completely
forgot about it. About 20 minutes later I smelled something burning.
The electric range MELTED a hole in the bottom of the kettle. It was
pretty thick aluminum.

It may have *burned* a hole in the bottom...

No, it'll melt it.

No way the gas range could have melted the aluminum.

Sorry, but your reality check just bounced.

Aluminum melts at 660 C.

If it burned the aluminum it would ba a tad hotter than 660C! It
would have been quite a sight, if anything was left to see.

The temperature of a natural gas flame is approx 900 C.
[
http://www.doctorfire.com/flametmp.html]

Well ventilated; not confined under the kettle.

--
Keith