Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default what type of cement or mortar

Richard J Kinch wrote:
RicodJour writes:

Hydraulic cement (and no, I don't like the name it is
marketed by any more than you do) expands slightly as it sets to offset
the natural shrinkage.

The proper term "hydraulic" has nothing to do with "expansive".

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructu...rp/cement.html

"ASTM C 150 defines portland cement as "hydraulic cement (cement that not
only hardens by reacting with water but also forms a water-resistant
product) ...". That is, all portland cement is hydraulic.

No argument there. We've already agreed that the hydraulic in the name
Hydraulic Cement is a misnomer. Maybe I'll go to the supermarket later
and buy some of that Wet Beer.

By blending proportions of various aluminates, silicates, and sulfates in
portland cement, the shrinkage/expansion can be controlled. Shrinkage
typically has everything to do with inadequate hydration while curing and
not composition.

Correct. By blending the component materials in Portland cement the
properties can be varied as needed. Hydraulic Cement has the component
materials blended so that it expands slightly as it sets. The bag of
Type I Portland you buy does not expand - it shrinks slightly.

We're agreed that Portland cement comes in different types, that the
properties can be tweaked by adjusting the component materials and that
some cement expands more than others. Why do you feel that they're
selling a bill of goods? They're already making far more money on the
product because it's sold in much smaller quantities for almost the
same price.