Posted to alt.home.repair
Melanie Melanie is offline

Default Another engineered flooring installation question or two...

When I did my floors I cut the floor around the
door casings and fooled with all kinds of pieces of molding and quarter
round before I gave up and just did it right.

I ripped out the carpet and the tack boards from this area on the
weekend and I think you are right about undercutting the door jambs and
door casing. It seems easier.

So, my next question is do I need special tools for this? Do I have to
buy a door jamb electric saw or can I get by with a hack saw? I reread
the flooring manual and they claim I can use a hack saw. But what is
the reality of that?

I decided to rip out ALL the carpet, underlay and tack boards
throughout the living room first, get the 2 layers of plastic
insulation down first and then start on the doorway. No wait, undercut
the doorway first, then lay down the sheeting. I expect that part will
be messy and don't want to have to deal with cleaning off the plastic.

Just have to figure out where to put all my furniture. And if I like
the sofa in the bathroom I might keep it in there. JK

~Melanie