Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stretching canvas

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
"S Viemeister" wrote in message
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Anyone know the best way to stretch canvas over a wooden frame?

In the past I've used hardboard for painting in oils,but this has become
an
expensive way to paint and I've now had to resort to canvas as its
cheaper
this way now.

The canvas has to be taut on the frame otherwise the oils will crack if
its
loose

I haven't done it in years, but there are special, very wide, pliers-type
tools used for this.

Cut your canvas a few inches wider than your stretchers.

Mark the centres of both frame and canvas.

Staple the centre of one side.
Stretch canvas taut, using big pliers-thing; staple opposite centre.
Repeat for the other two sides.

Again pull canvas taut, and staple about halfway between a corner and the
centre staple - repeat for all four sides.

Pull canvas and staple between the staples just put in, and the centres.

Pull canvas and staple midway between corner and nearest
staple....continue as needed, depending on size of frame.

The idea is to stretch evenly all around, finishing by mitreing the
corners.

I thought that picture frames were also slotted along the mitre and held in
alignment by a loose wedge. Once the canvas was initially tightened, driving
the wedges home would then stretch it that little bit more.

Colin Bignell

wet canvas shrinks on drying too, if thats any help.