Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default Transporting An Extension Ladder With A Car: How ?

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Have the problem of transporting a typical 20 ft. Werner extension ladder.

Only have a car (Buick LeSabre) and it's probably a bit much to just hang
out of the trunk.

I can try the ski carriers that I still have from years ago and see if they
will
fit on the Buick, but was wondering if anyone has any other clever ideas
on what to do ?

I remember they used to make heavy foam blocks to place on a canoes
gunwales, so the canoe
copuld easily be carried upside down on the roof of a car without maring the
paint (tied down, of course).

Is there anything like this available for carrying a ladder, perhaps ?

Any other thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

I've carried 12 foot pieces of fencing on a Honda Civic, and this is
how: forget about the roof, you can't support the ends of a long item.
Instead, make a bracket out of coat hanger that attaches to something
halfway sturdy in the engine compartment and comes out the gap between
the hood and the fender and attach it to the front of the object (using
the standard mil-spec twisting the coathanger wire means of fastening).
Do the same at the other end, sticking out the side of the trunk/lid,
so the flat item is hanging off the side of the car instead of the
roof. (probably the passenger side will work best). If necessary,
fasten the center to the door windows in similar high tech fashion.
Seems like it would work fine with a ladder, given that the ladder
would be easy to attach to the coathanger wire. My coat hanger was
sturdy enough to keep the thing from banging into the paint, if
necessary you may need to do something with rags, bungee cords, some
such.