Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Fixing cracks in wooden "quoins" (corner blocks) in Italianate house...

Lew Hodgett wrote:
blueman wrote:

Just to clarify, are you suggesting that wood epoxy or bondo are
BETTER than caulk or that they would work too. The reason I am asking
is that caulk would be easier but I want to do it right.

A couple of points of clarification.

First of all, I don't have a clue about what is the best way to make
these repairs.

As far as caulk is concerned, SikaFlex has an excellent tech service
group in Detroit and have an 800#.

I'd start with them.

Second, there is a world of difference between thickened epoxy and Bondo.

Bondo is polyester resin loaded with talc to thicken it.

Polyester is NOT an adhesive, does not add strength, but rather dead
weight, which is probably not a major concern for this application.

I realize it's not primarily marketed as an adhesive, but it does stick
to sheet metal. The OP is not gluing things together anyway, he's
filling a gap. Almost anything would work - rock putty, exterior
spackle, etc.