Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Boy, am I in the wrong line of work .........

In article . com, "Larry Bud" wrote:

Why not? There would be an open flame, no hotter than your electric
range.

Ummmm... do you really think that electric burners get as hot as a gas flame?

When I was in an apt, I had an electric range that I had a tea kettle
on. The damn whistle on the kettle didn't work, and I completely
forgot about it. About 20 minutes later I smelled something burning.
The electric range MELTED a hole in the bottom of the kettle. It was
pretty thick aluminum.

It may have *burned* a hole in the bottom...

No way the gas range could have melted the aluminum.

Sorry, but your reality check just bounced.

Aluminum melts at 660 C.
The temperature of a natural gas flame is approx 900 C.
[http://www.doctorfire.com/flametmp.html]

--
Regards,