Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Ground current through water main/meter

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Awl--

How much is acceptable?

Nothing you can measure with an ampprobe.

An amp-probe reveals between 2 and 6 amps, depending on how balanced the
load is on each leg of the main panel.
I'm hearing that the neutral from the panel is connected to a *steel* cable
outside, while the hots are indeed connected to copper conductors. This
would explain some current going through ground.

Actually its pretty unlikely a steel cable would have been used. Are you
sure it isn't bare *aluminum*?

If the water main connection is broken, no noticeable effect in the
house--or so it seems.

Mebbe I'll amp-probe some of my neighbors plumbing.
Absolutely Vote, for *Anyone BUT* a Democrat or a Republican
Ending Corruption in Congress is the Single Best Way
to Materially Improve Your Life
all d'numbuhs